Article contributed by Karyn Gronn (JHB-based Banting Buddies coach)
If soy is nature’s miracle food, then why are so many vegetarians and health conscious fanatics so sick!!! WHAT is the actual motivation behind this hype, or again have the facts been twisted for profit gains?! Unfermented soy is a very controversial food topic. I believe people have been mislead into believing that it is a health food. The science is inconsistent and contradictory in proving it.
Soy has been widely promoted as having amazing health benefits, from heart disease to ingrown toe nails. People therefore consume soy believing they are making a healthy food choice – because they surely cannot be eating soy for the taste.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE ‘GOOD AND BAD’
Fermented ‘Good’ Soy – The Japanese generally eat organic fermented soy. This type of soy may in certain cases prevent cancers and other diseases due to the fermentation and degradation of bacteria, which breaks down the harmful elements from the soil, i.e., aluminum, etc. Good soy also has isoflavones which aids protein digestion.
Good sources of fermented soy include: tempeh, miso and a good non-chemical soy sauce, and then natto, which is extremely high in Vitamin K2. Vitamin K2 is essential in the prevention of osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, brain diseases such as dementia, as well as protection against various cancers including prostate, lung, liver cancer and leukemia.
Unfermented ‘Bad’ Soy is deficient in isoflavone and full of toxins that block the much-needed enzymes for protein digestion. Most soy is GMO, due to the fact that they incorporate a gene that provides resistance to a pesticide known as ‘Roundup’. Roundup allows for a greater crop production. Along with all this, the GMO soy bean is high in phytic -acid, which is present in the hull or bran of the seed. Phytic-acid also prevents the absorption of essential minerals into your body e.g. calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc.
Bad sources: Tofu, soya milk or soy meat substitutes. Products containing hydrolyzed vegetable proteins such as vegetarian fake meat (burgers, sausages, chicken nuggets etc.). Soy is also commonly found in other processed food such as mayonnaise, salad dressing, protein bars, protein shakes, breakfast cereals, to name a few. Foods containing GMO and lecithin will definitely contain soy.
RISKS OF CONSUMING SOY…From Infants to Adults
- INFANTS – SOY FORMULA – This is to be avoided at all costs, especially since the baby’s brain and body are still developing. It has been proven that when babies are fed soya milk formula they are consuming 20 thousand times more estrogen through their blood stream than needed, equaling an estimation of 5 birth control pills of oestrogen per day.
- GIRLS – Complications may only arise at puberty where they develop a lot earlier due to excess estrogen. According to a study, young female hamsters fed the soy isoflavone showed physical signs of sexual maturity and are interested in mating much earlier than female hamsters that matured naturally.
- BOYS– Delayed, or in worst cases a total retarding in sexual development. The most recent piece of evidence is a case study of a 19-year-old who becomes a vegan. After consuming soy in large quantities, he soon experienced loss of libido and erectile dysfunction.
- WOMAN – Goitrogens are substances that block the synthesis of thyroid hormones and interfere with iodine metabolism, thereby interfering with your thyroid function i.e. hyperthyroidism. Phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function affecting the menstrual cycle as well as promoting breast cancer. In pregnancy it may block the nutrient uptake to your unborn child resulting in birth defects or miscarriage.
- MEN – Higher risk of lowered sperm count or sterility.
- GENERAL – Infertility stemming into the third generation. Thyroid dysfunctions, especially hyperthyroidism. Kidney stones, weak immune system and food allergies. Digestive issues can also arise due to the trypsin inhibitors in soy, which interferes with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders.
WHAT’S BEING DONE?
For starters, each person can take personal responsibility for their health and do your own FACTUAL research. Over and above this the French food agencies are insisting that all labels have warning signs. Other foreign Governments are stepping on board with their health concerns.
All GMO (genetically modified products) are hugely damaging to humans and animals.
Read your labels before buying products.
References: Mercola, Kaayla Daniel, Men’s Health, LIVE Strong, Global Healing Center and David Wolf
Coach profile: Please click here.
Don’t want to miss out? Why not subscribe to our blog to get email notifications of new posts.